Frequently Asked Questions



  • What Are The Benefits Of Having Travel Insurance?
  • When you travel it's all about the new and unknown which unfortunately means you never know what could go wrong. Things like medical emergencies while overseas could cost $50,000+, and then there's lost luggage, stolen belongings and delayed flights which are more expenses on top of an already costly holiday.

    Travel is unpredictable and travel insurance is there to help provide you peace of mind that when the unexpected happens, we'll be there to help out. We advise you to read the Product Disclosure Statement to make sure this product is right for you. If you have any questions please call our friendly call centre on 0800 000 333.


  • Why Can I Count On 1Cover?
  • We've been around since 2003 and since then have been providing quality insurance at value for money prices. Regardless of the trip planned we provide you with travel insurance that you can count on.

    You Can Count On Us To Cover More.
    Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance - unlimited for all international plans.
    Unlimited cover for Overseas Medical & Hospital expenses on all international plans
    Unlimited cover for cancellation and loss of deposits on most plans.
    Up to $15000 for luggage and personal effects.
    Includes cover for kids when they travel with a parent or grandparent for 100% of the journey.

    You Can Count On Us To Be There For You, Anytime.
    You can rest assured knowing that you have 24/7 emergency assistance., We are there for you when you need us most. 

    You Can Count On Us To Offer Many Different Types Of Cover.
    Different plans for different travel destinations.


  • Who Can Purchase A Policy?
  • For all plans except Non-Residents and Already Overseas.
    You need to be a resident of New Zealand, have purchased your policy before you commenced your journey and your Journey needs to start and end in New Zealand.

    You are not a Resident of New Zealand, you are travelling to New Zealand on a temporary basis, you purchased your policy within 14 days of your arrival in New Zealand. Note that if you are entitled to be covered under a Reciprocal Health Agreement between the government of New Zealand and the government of another country, then unfortunately we cannot provide you with a policy.

    Already Overseas
    You need to be a Resident of New Zealand, be overseas when you purchase the policy, and your one-way Journey commences overseas and ends in New Zealand.


  • Do I Need To Be Related To Other Insured Persons If I Go On The Same Policy?
  • No, people can go on the same policy without being related. This means that friends, colleagues, partners, or school groups can all go on the one policy together, making it easier for you.


  • When Can I Buy Travel Insurance?
  • You may purchase a travel insurance policy up to 12 months prior to your departure date. For Plans all plans except Non-Residents and Already Overseas you must purchase your policy before you commence your journey. Non-Residents you must be purchased within 14 days of your arrival in New Zealand, and Already Overseas plan can only be purchased while you are overseas.*

    You can call us from 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 6pm on Saturdays and 12pm to 6pm Sundays.

    You can apply for a policy online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and obtain immediate cover (subject to the terms and conditions).

    As soon as you pay for a 1Cover policy, you will be covered for cancellation fees and lost deposits should you have to cancel your trip. This applies to all plans except for Essentials and Medical Only (Essentials and Medical Only do not include Section 16 - Cancellation Fees & Lost Deposits). Your actual policy will not begin until the day of your departure noted on your Certificate of Insurance, but the cancellation cover will take effect immediately. For this reason, you may want to take out cover as soon as possible.

    If you are applying for Pre-existing Medical Conditions cover, you should allow at least 72 hours before you commence your trip. If you do not have access to email please allow time for postage so that you can ensure you receive a copy of your insurance documents before you leave.


  • What Do I Do If I Lose My Policy Documentation
  • If you lose your policy documents, please call us on 0800 000 333 or email [email protected]  


  • How Can I Pay For My 1Cover Policy?
  • To help make the payment process as easy and simple as we can, we've created four methods of payment:

    Through the use of your credit card or debit card.

    You can ask for one of our cash payments forms which you can fill in and send back to us with a cheque.

    You can make a direct deposit into our bank account by visiting the bank or using online banking.

    You can also come and visit us in our Auckland-based sales office and pay by cash. Find us at 11B/17 Albert Street, Auckland 1010 New Zealand 

    To arrange payment options please call our 1Cover call centre on 0800 000 333


  • What Happens If I Change My Mind?
  • If you decide that the policy is not right for you, you can cancel it within 14 days after you're issued your Certificate of Insurance and PDS. You'll be given a full refund of the premium paid, as long as you haven't started your Journey, and you do not want to make a claim or to exercise any other right under the policy. After the 14 days you can still cancel the policy or make any changes to the policy, but you will not receive any refund of premium, therefore we encourage customers to review their policy documents including the PDS as soon as they are received to ensure that the product is right for them.


  • What Is A Dependant?
  • Dependants are your children or grandchildren not in full time employment, who are under the age of 21. In order to be classed as a Dependant, the child must be travelling with their parent or grandparent at all times. If you have a child under 16 years of age that requires a single adult policy you will need to contact the call centre to discuss your options.

    Whether it’s two adults, mulitple adults or just a single adult travelling, we allow for an unlimited amount of Dependants to be added to a policy. 


  •  Can I Come Home If An Immediate Family Member Becomes Unwell?
  • You will have provision to claim for family emergency should an immediate family member become hospitalised or pass away. Please note that we are not able to provide cover for events relating to the death or hospitalisation of someone aged over 84 years, and there is no cover if it is arising from a pre-existing medical conditions. The family member must also reside in Australia or New Zealand for you to be able to claim on this.


  • Can I Apply To Extend My Travel Insurance Policy?
  • Yes. However, you must apply to extend your policy before it expires (11.59 PM NZST). To extend your policy, simply call 0800 000 333, email us at [email protected] or speak to a call centre representative via online chat. One of our trained call centre staff members will assist you in the policy extension.

    You'll be issued with a quote for the policy extension period. And you'll need to process a payment for this extended period. Please note there may be instances where a policy extension is not available.


  • Can I Apply To Extend My Travel Insurance Policy While Overseas?
  • Yes you can apply to extend your policy while you're overseas however you must do so at least 7 days before your original policy lapses. To apply to extend your policy you must either:
    Call the call centre
    Speak to a call centre representative via online chat, or
    Email the 1Cover call centre at [email protected]

    Once your policy extension is being considered by a call centre representative you'll receive a quote for the policy extension if your application is accepted. To pay for this extension you must use your credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

    Please note that extensions of cover for pre-existing medical conditions are not available unless the condition(s) is listed under Step 2 of the 'Pre-existing Medical Conditions' section in the PDS (restrictions apply).


  • What Happens If I Encounter Terrorism Or Political Unrest?
  • In the event of a terrorist attack or political unrest, there is no cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits, disruption of journey or alternative transport expenses. However, if you have purchased any plan except for domestic travel insurance, cover is available for all necessary medical/hospital expenses, including bringing you back to your home. This only applies to the Plans listed above, as there is no cover for medical/hospital expenses or repatriation under Domestic and Frequent Traveller Domestic.


  • What Happens If I Come Home Early?
  • Your policy covers the full duration of your trip. There are no refunds should you come home earlier than planned.

  • Will You Fly Me Home If I Fall Sick Overseas?
  • If you have purchased any plan except for Domestic or Domestic Frequent Traveller, cover is available for your medical transfer or evacuation if you must be transported to the nearest hospital for emergency medical treatment overseas, or be brought back to New Zealand with appropriate medical supervision.

    Cover is also available under these Plans for the return to New Zealand of your Dependants if they are left without supervision following your hospitalisation or evacuation.

    All expenses for medical evacuation must first be approved by 1Cover..

    This only applies to the Plans listed above, as there is no cover for medical/hospital expenses or repatriation under Domestic or Frequent Traveller Domestic plans.

  • How Can I Contact 1Cover When I'm Overseas?
  • To contact the 1Cover call centre while you are overseas you simply need to either:
    Phone us: (+) 64 9886 2453
    Email us: [email protected]
    Or speak with us on 1Cover's online chat.

    To speak to emergency assistance:
    From Overseas: +64 9887 9423
    Within New Zealand: 0800 367 729
    Email: [email protected]nz
    Operating hours: 24/7, 365 days year

    Toll Free International Emergency Assistance Numbers:

    Australia: 1300-884508
    UK:  0808-178-5380
    Thailand National: 1800 011 857
    USA/Canada: 1 855-912-3443
    Indonesia: 0803 061 2053


  • What Do I Do If I Need To Make A Claim?
  • If you need to make a claim please review the 'Make A Claim' section of our website it will detail the steps to make a claim online.


  • What Activities Are Covered Under 1Cover?
  • To view a full list of activities covered under our 1Cover policies click here.


  • If I Am Having A Stopover Outside My Selected Country Will I Be Covered?
  • With our plans cover for any loss you suffer must occur in the Geographical Region (or any lower Geographical Region) that applies to the plan selected by you.

    But we know that people have stopovers throughout their travels so we have allowed for stopovers for up to two nights in a higher Geographical Region outside of your selected Geographical Region (for plans Comprehensive, Essentials, Medical Only, Non-Residents and Already Overseas).


  • What Is Covered Under Rental Car Excess?
  • There are numerous rental vehicle excess cover amounts across our different plans. We will reimburse you up to the R.V.E insurance amount listed on your policy, covering any excess or deductible you become legally liable to pay under your Rental Vehicle hiring agreement. It is payable if your rental vehicle is involved in an accident while you are driving, or is damaged or stolen while in your custody.

    Please be aware this benefit does not take the place of Rental Vehicle insurance.

    The following conditions must be met for cover to be available under this benefit:
    The Rental Vehicle must be rented from a recognised rental agency;
    The hiring arrangement must incorporate motor vehicle insurance or damage waiver against loss or damage to the Rental Vehicle; and
    You must comply with all requirements of the rental agency under the hiring agreement and, if applicable, the insurer under such insurance.

    Please note that Rental Vehicle Excess cover is not included with our Medical Only policy.


  • What Cover Do I Receive For Luggage And Personal Effects?
  • Please refer to the Table of Benefits in the PDS for the maximum benefit limits applicable to each plan. There is no cover for Luggage and Personal Effects under Medical Only.

    Within the maximum benefit limits in each Plan, the maximum amount each item is covered for (i.e. the item limit) is:
    Comprehensive, Domestic, Frequent Traveller International and Domestic, Non-Residents and Already Overseas Plans
    $3,000 for personal computers, video recorders or cameras
    $1,000 for mobile phones and tablets (including PDAs and any items with phone capabilities)
    $750 for all other unspecified items

    $2,000 for personal computers, video recorders or cameras
    $1,000 for mobile phones and tablets (including PDAs and any items with phone capabilities)
    $750 for all other unspecified items

    A pair or related set of items for example - but not limited to:
    a camera, lenses (attached or not), tripod and accessories;
    a matched or unmatched set of golf clubs, golf bag and buggy;
    a matching pair of earrings;
    Are considered as only one item for the purpose of this insurance and the appropriate single item limit will be applied.

    Additional cover can be purchased for specified items (excluding jewellery, bicycles and watercraft other than surfboards) up to a total amount of $5,000 for all items combined by paying an additional premium. Receipts and/or valuations need to be provided. The standard item limits shown above will not apply to any specified items. Items cannot be no more than 12 months old. 

    This Additional Option is not available under the Medical Only plan.


  • Will I Be Covered If I Ride A Scooter, Moped or Motorcycle While Overseas?
  • In order to be covered under a 1Cover policy, when driving a motorcycle, you need to hold a current New Zealand motorcycle licence. If you are in control of a motorcycle or scooter with an engine capacity greater than 50cc than a motorcycle licence is mandatory.

    You also need to be aware that cover will not be provided to you if you are a passenger on a moped, scooter or motorcycle with the person in control not having a valid motorcycle or driver’s licences valid for the country you are travelling in.  


  • Will I Be Covered If I Perform My Activity While Under The Influence Of Drugs Or Alcohol? 
  • This is a big no no! It’s a general exclusion under the 1Cover policy and you will not be cover. Our policy states that any claim arising from being intoxicated, addicted or under the influence of liquor or drugs, except those prescribed by a Medical Adviser, will not be covered. 


  • What Activities Are General Exclusions Under The 1Cover Policy?
  • The following activities are general exclusions:
    Racing (other than on foot)
    Open water sailing
    Playing polo
    Mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment.
    Professional sports
    Parachuting or hang gliding
    Diving under water using a breathing apparatus without an open water diving licence
    Diving under water using a breathing apparatus without an instructor
    Trekking or hiking above 3,500 metres altitutde


  • What Are Supporting Documents?
  • When you submit your claim, you'll need to provide certain documents for us to be able to assess your claim effectively.

    For medical, hospital or dental claims you'll usually need original medical accounts and receipts.

    For loss or theft of your luggage/personal effects you'll need a written notice of your police report. You'll also need to prove ownership for the items.

    For damage or misplacement of luggage/personal effects, caused by the airline or any other operator or accommodation provider, report the damage or misplacement to an appropriate official and obtain a written report, including any offer of settlement that they may make

    Please note you must give us any information we reasonably ask for to support your claim at your expense, such as but not limited to, police reports, valuations, medical reports, original receipts or proof of purchase and ownership. If required, we may ask you to provide us with translations into English of any such documents to enable us to consider your claim.


  • How Long Will It Take To Process My Claim?
  • In most cases your claim will be processed within 10 business days provided all the necessary documentation is received.


  • How Long Do I Have To Submit A Claim?
  • Please notify us as soon as possible by calling 0800 367 729 or submitting a claim via our Online Claims Form.


  • What Happens If I Don’t Have My Original Receipts?
  • We understand that sometimes you might not be able to provide original receipts for some items. Don’t worry you may still lodge a claim, as you may be able to submit alternate proof of ownership to substantiate your claim.


  • What Happens If I Get Sick/Injured Overseas?
  • 1Cover offer Emergency Medical Assistance anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. In an emergency situation, you can call our medical assistance team who will help with medical problems which may arise. If you are injured or become unwell overseas, you must notify 1Cover as soon as possible.


  • What Is An Excess?
  • Excess means the amount which you must first pay for each claim arising from one event before a claim can be made under your policy.


  • What Happens If I Need To Cancel My Trip?
  • If you need to cancel your trip, you should notify any travel providers who you have booked through of your intention to cancel. Original booking confirmations, refund advices and terms and conditions will be requested by us upon lodgment of your claim.


  • What Happens If I Miss My Flight Or If The Flight Is Delayed?
  • In the first instance, you should contact the airline to see if any alternate arrangement can be made or any compensation may be offered. Please retain any documentation provided by the airline or receipts for any out of pocket costs which you may incur as a result of the delay or cancellation should you need to submit a claim.


  • What Happens If I Need To Come Home During My Trip?
  • If you need to return home during your journey under your comprehensive policy (unless it is a claimable event), your policy will end as soon as you have passed through New Zealand customs.


  • What Do I Do In Case Of A Theft?
  • You should report the theft to the police or nearest local authority and obtain a written report. If you cannot report the theft or obtain a written report for whatever reason, please contact 1Cover to notify us of the theft.


  • Which Sports Do You Cover?
  • We cover a wide range of sports and sporting activities. Please click here for further information


  • Why Do I Need Supporting Documentation?
  • Supporting documentation is important as it will substantiate your claim and allow us to determine whether you are covered under the policy. You must give us any information we reasonably ask for to support your claim. This includes documentation such as but not limited to: police reports, valuations, medical reports, original receipts or proof of ownership.


  • Can I Make More Than One Claim Under One Policy?
  • Yes, however an excess may be applicable for each claim you are making.


  • Is My Policy Extended If My Return Journey Is Delayed Due To A Claimable Event?
  • You may extend your cover free of charge if you find that your return to Australia has been delayed because of one or more of the following:
    a) a busline, airline, shipping line or rail authority you are travelling on, or that has accepted your fare or luggage and personal effects, is delayed
     b) The delay is due to a reason for which you can claim under your policy (subject to 1cover approval). Please refer to the PDS for further information


Learn More About What's Covered With 1Cover

Overseas Medical AssistanceOverseas Medical Assistance

We have a 24/7 emergency medical assistance to assist you whenever you need help.

Theft Of CashTheft Of Cash 

We provide cover for loss of cash. 


Up to $15,000 luggage and personal effects cover.

Family EmergencyFamily Emergency

Our travel insurance provides cover around family emergencies.


Further Reading


AfricaEurope contains many of the worlds most popular tourist destinations.


AsiaAsia is an amazing place to visit. Learn more about the safety concerns of travel in Asia.


USAVisiting the USA can be an eye opening experience. Make sure to pack travel insurance as hospital stays can be very expensive.


Popular Destinations