Win a set of JULY suitcases worth $1,425! T&Cs apply

UK & Ireland Travel Insurance

Travelling to the Great Britain and Ireland? Get Cheap, Award Winning Travel Insurance & Read Our Helpful Holiday Tips


Travel Alerts: 

Before you buy, please read our travel alerts.

"Exceeded all expectations with 5 star service and exceptional level of care"
— Sean Mar 17, 2021

Why Do I Need Travel Insurance In The UK?


Cost of an air ambulance from the UK back to New Zealand.


The average cost of a weekly hospital stay in UK in ICU.*


Cost of repatriation on a plane from the UK to New Zealand.

And Did you know...?

  1. 1.  Over a quarter of people think the government will pay their medical bills overseas. But if you need medical help in the UK, the government won’t cover any GP costs, costs of medicines, or ambulance travel.s
  2. 2.  Close to 1.3 million passenger journeys to or from UK airports were delayed by at least three hours in the past year. London Heathrow and Gatwick had some of the worst delays
  3. 3.  In 2015 there were 23.1 million mishandled bags around the world. Lost/damaged luggage is the number one claim reason for 1Cover customers visiting England, Scotland and Ireland.
  4. 4.  In the past year, close to 20% of 1Cover Travel Insurance's claims have been for rental vehicle excess.


Travel insurance can't prevent things from happening. But if you have 1Cover, you'll have someone there when one thing goes wrong. Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about travel insurance when travelling to Great Britain and Ireland. 

What Are My Travel Insurance Options For The UK?


Option 1


This is our highest level of cover.


Option 2

Medical Only

For medical expense coverage only.


Option 3

Frequent Traveller

If you travel more than once a year.READ MORE

We've provided an outline for each of the options below. If you need more information or need to view the terms and conditions, please take a look at the Policy Wording, or get an instant quote now.


Get a quote



Option 1: Comprehensive Cover


Comprehensive Travel Insurance is our highest level of cover, with optional add-ons for snow, cruise, extra rental vehicle excess, and high-value items.

If you have pets, we include vet fees if your pet gets sick while you're away, and we'll pay pet boarding fees if you're delayed. 

For a detailed outline of benefits and inclusions, as well terms and conditions, please refer to the Policy Wording, or get an instant quote now.

UK Travel Insurance Policy Benefit Overseas Single-Trip
medical Cover 

Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance^


Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital Expenses^*


Includes Dental Expenses (per adult)^


Resumption Of Journey^*


Hospital Cash Allowance^*


Accidental Death*


Permanent Disability^*


Loss of Income^*


luggage Cover 

Credit Card Fraud & Replacement^


Includes Travel Documents & Traveller's Cheques^


Theft Of Cash^#


Luggage & Personal Effects*


Luggage & Personal Effects Delay Expenses^


cancellation Cover 

Additional Accommodation & Travel Expenses*


Includes Family Emergency*


Includes Emergency Companion Cover*


Cancellation Fees & Lost Deposits*


Disruption Of Journey*


Alternative Transport Expenses^


ancillary Cover 

Personal Liability#

$5 million

Domestic Pets^*


Domestic Services^*


Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess#*



Choose Add-ons For your Comprehensive cover

If you’re travelling with expensive new items, going cruising, hitting the ski slopes, or you're worried about car rental insurance excess, then you may want to select the following add-ons. 

cruise pack

Protect yourself while cruising in
UK with our
Cruise Pack add-on.

winter sports pack
Winter Sports

Cover yourself and your gear on your ski or snowboarding trip with our Winter Sports Pack add-on.

rental vehicle
More Cover for Your Rental Vehicle 

We automatically cover rental excess up to $5,000. But you can increase this up to $8,000 if you need to.

high value item
High Value
Items Cover

Protect high-value items that are not automatically covered by your policy. Note: items cannot be older than 12 months.

Option 2: Medical Only Cover

If you're travelling on a budget, and looking for cheap travel insurance to the UK, then 1Cover’s Medical Only policy offers a cheaper alternative to comprehensive travel insurance. It's our most basic policy and will only provide cover for any medical expenses and emergency assistance costs. 

For a detailed outline of benefits and inclusions, as well as terms and conditions, please refer to the Policy Wording, or get an instant quote now.

Medical Only Cover Policy
Medical Only Policy
Single Trip
medical Cover 

Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance^


Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital Expenses^*


Includes Dental Expenses (per adult)^



Personal Liability#

$5 million

Option 3: Annual or Frequent Traveller Cover

Do you travel more than once a year to the UK? Then it might make sense to buy a multi trip annual policy. This works just like our comprehensive cover (detailed above), except you can take as many trips as you want in a year and you’ll still be covered.

Let us know the maximum trip duration of any one trip before selecting from the options below.


Frequent Traveller 21 days maximum


Frequent Traveller 45 days maximum


Find out which Annual Frequent Traveller cover policy would suit you best here. 

For a detailed outline of benefits and inclusions, as well as terms and conditions, please refer to the Policy Wording, or get an instant quote now.


uK Travel Insurance FAQs

  • Can I Apply To Extend My Travel Insurance Policy While I’m Away?
  • Yes, of course. If you want to extend your policy while you’re in the UK, the easiest way to do this is via the Policy Manager.
    You'll need your policy number (available in the email confirming your policy), and a few other simple details. Log-in and extend your trip, add destinations, or buy add ons/extras.

    Make sure you extend your policy before it expires. 
    If you have trouble, you can email us at [email protected]

    Please note there may be instances where a policy extension is not available. 

  • Won't The RHCA Cover Me If I Require Medical Assistance In the uK?
  • The reciprocal health care agreement (RHCA) lets New Zealand citizens access limited medical services in certain countries including the UK.  

    But the RHCA won't cover any prescription medicines/supplies, or any other medical treatments you require, including any hospital outpatient treatments and all private hospital services.

    The RHCA also doesn't cover emergency evacuation, repatriation, or any dental costs. You can find out more here

  • Will You Pay My Hospital Bills If I get Sick Or Injured In the UK?
  • Please refer to the Policy Wording and policy schedule and check if your sickness or injury is a claimable event and is covered. If you are hospitalised, or if you are treated as an outpatient, or if the total cost of the treatment will exceed $1000, please contact our emergency assistance service as soon as possible to obtain their prior approval.

    In circumstances where the claim is approved, we can then provide written guarantees of payment of reasonable expenses for emergency hospitalisation that may be required while you are in the UK. 

  • What Do I Do If I'm robbed In The UK?
  • If you are robbed while you’re on holiday, you should report the theft to the police or nearest local authority immediately. You will also need to obtain a written report to be used as supporting documents for your claim

  • I’m in the UK and the airline has lost my luggage. Will 1Cover Replace The Items?
  • If you are entitled to be reimbursed by the bus line, airline, shipping line or rail authority you were travelling on when the loss, theft, misplacement or damage occurred, then your travel insurance may not cover you.

    However, if you are not reimbursed the full amount of your claim, we will assess your claim and you may be entitled to be paid the difference between the amount of your loss and what you were reimbursed, up to the limit of your cover (allowing for depreciation due to age, wear and tear).

  • What Is Covered Under Rental Vehicle Excess while I’m in the uK?
  • The default cover amount we offer is for up to $5K, but you have the option to increase this to $6K, $7K or $8K.

    We will reimburse you up to the rental vehicle excess insurance amount listed on your policy, covering any excess you are legally liable to pay under your rental vehicle hiring agreement.

    Rental vehicle excess is payable if your rental vehicle is involved in an accident while you are driving, or if the rental vehicle is damaged or stolen while in your custody.

    Please be aware this benefit does not take the place of rental vehicle insurance. Also, there are a range of conditions that must be met for cover to be available under this benefit. View the full list of conditions here.

  • What Happens If I Encounter Terrorism Or Political Unrest In The UK?
  • In the event of a terrorist attack or political unrest, there is no cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits, disruption of journey or alternative transport expenses.

    However, if you do get caught up in an unforeseen event while you are in the UK and you are injured, cover is available for all necessary medical/hospital expenses.

  • I’m Travelling To Multiple Countries Including the UK. Do I Need To List All My Destinations?
  • When you apply for a policy you need to tell us where you are travelling to. The premium you pay for the policy depends on your destination(s). The policy only covers loss, injury or illness which occurs in the countries you have told us you will visit. 

    If you're travelling to multiple countries (including Europe and the UK), you need to nominate the countries when you are applying for cover. 

    If you’re going on a cruise, you must select the appropriate cruise region for where you are travelling and pay an additional premium for travel on a cruise vessel by purchasing the Cruise Pack. If you don't purchase a cruise pack, you won't be covered while on the ship. There is, however, no cover under any sections of the policy when you are on a cargo ship or freighter.

  • Can I Choose My Excess?
  • Sure. If you choose a lower excess, it means you'll pay less if you need to claim, but you'll pay a little bit more upfront. If you opt for a higher excess, it means you'll pay less now and a little bit more if you need to claim.

  • I travel to UK a few times a year. What’s the best policy for me?
  • We have a policy called Frequent Traveller which allows you to take as many trips under the one policy for 12 months and enjoy comprehensive cover on each one. There is a limit to the maximum length of each trip on these policies. You can travel to one or more destinations with this policy. 

    Find out more about our annual travel insurance policies here.

  • Do you cover seniors travelling to the UK?
  • We can provide cover to people of all ages. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions we may require a little more information from you and some exclusions may apply. See here for more details. 

  • Am I Covered If I'm Pregnant When I'm Travelling To the UK?
  • If you're travelling to the UK while pregnant, you are covered for single foetus pregnancies, up to, and inclusive of, the 24th week of gestation. For multiple pregnancies, you'll be covered up to and inclusive of the 19th week of gestation. If you have had complications fromyour pregnancy, you’ll need to complete a medical screening.

    We will assess your application and decide whether and to what extent we can offer you insurance for your pregnancy and/or journey. If you have not told us about the circumstances of your pregnancy when you were required to do so, we may refuse your claim or reduce it to the amount we would have paid had you given us the required information.

    Please note: we will not pay any medical expenses for:
    a) Regular antenatal care;
    b) Childbirth at any gestation; or
    c) Care of the newborn child. 

    Find more here. 

  • Can I Get Extra Cover For My High-Value Items?
  • Laptop computers, cameras, mobile phones…they’re all things we need on at home and on holiday. That’s why you can choose a bit of extra protection for your can’t-live-withouts. All you need to do is include and specify certain high-value items that aren't automatically covered when you're buying your policy.

    Note: the items cannot be older than 12 month, and you can't specify items like jewellery, watches, bicycles and watercraft (apart from surfboards).

  • Am I Covered If I'm Going on a working holiday to the uK?
  • Yes, we will cover you if you have the intention of coming back home within 12 months of your departure. 




The One thing They Needed in The UK


Robert's Rental Car Crash

While travelling in the UK, Robert accidentally reversed his hire car into a parking meter.

1Cover covered the rental vehicle excess of $5,000 and Robert was able to keep enjoying his trip.

The hire car company charged me on the spot...but I got my money back within the week.

Tarek's lost Camera

Tarek was on the train on his way to the airport when he lost his camera bag containing all of his camera gear. Despite contacting the transit office and police he had no luck in finding it.

1Cover was able to reimburse Tarek for the cost of his lost camera gear (minus depreciation).

Easy to make the claim and send the documents.

Dahlia's Bacterial Infection 

During her UK holiday, Dahlia was struck down with a bacterial infection and admitted to a local hospital vomiting and suffering severe dehydration. She was hooked up to an IV rehydration drip and given the required medication.

Dahlia was able to claim $4,000 towards her medical expenses.

unbelievably helpful in a really stressful situation that ruined my holiday.

Travel Insurance Statistics

...they're interesting, really!


 Over 90% of travellers were covered by travel insurance the last time they went overseas.**


More than 1 in 4 travellers claimed for lost or damaged bags or belongings while in the UK*.


70% of travellers don’t realise travel insurance won’t cover you if you’re  intoxicated at the time of an event.**

**Research conducted in 2016
*in 2017/2018

How Will Travel Insurance Help Me In The UK?

medical assistance
24/7 Medical Assistance

While the UK has a world-class health system, there are some circumstances where you'll need help. If one thing goes very wrong, 1Cover will cover the cost of expensive evacuation or repatriation.

your trip

Last year, almost 1 in 10 UK claimants needed reimbursement for trip cancellations. If plans change, and you need to postpone or cancel, 1Cover can cover lost deposits and cancellation fees.

Cover Lost & Damaged Items

27% of 1Cover UK claimaints had lost or damaged personal items, such as lost laptops, cameras, or glasses. That's why we provide up to $15K cover for lost/damaged luggage and personal items.

car hire
No Shock
Car Hire

Hiring a car or campervan is a brilliant way to see the UK countryside. But a crack in the windscreen or a dent in the bumper could mean a hefty bill. Luckily, 1Cover covers rental vehicle excess, which means worry-free driving.

Keep Festivals Fun

The UK is popular for summer festivals like Glastonbury, Reading, and the Isle of Wight. We can’t stop the rain or mud but we can cover you for stolen phones, damaged tents, lost backpacks, and more.

Stress-free sports

Despite the famously bad weather, the UK offers many outdoor activities, with many visitors enjoying camping, cycling, horse-riding and rock-climbing. But unlike other insurers, we cover you for 100+ activities.

disaster relief
Disaster Relief 

If your UK holiday is impacted by any unforeseen weather events or disaster events, 1Cover can help you out and make sure you’re safe. But before you boo, always check the news and 1Cover's travel alerts

Control Your Cruise

You could be sailing the British Isles or cruising around the UK, but make sure you've got our cruise insurance add-on. It covers you for cruise risks like lost possessions, missed tours, and bugs spreading quickly on board.   


Get a quote


We've Already Helped 1.5 Million Customers

1Cover is rated 4.3 out of 5, Independently Rated On Feefo 
  • "Don't Leave Country Without it"

    Prompt support when unexpected happened. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have it when I got robbed.

    By Damiliya, Feefo User

  • "Good Value, Good Service"

    Had to make a claim when my wife took ill & had to visit a doctor in the USA. Put a claim in back home ... accepted and paid within two weeks.

    By Kevin, Feefo User

  • "Exceptional Speed In Response To A Claim"

    First time I've had to make a claim. Speed of process was quite unbelievable.

    By Anon, Feefo User

If You Only Do One Thing...

UK Survival Guide
The One Thing You Should Read Before Going To The UK

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales...wherever you’re going, our UK Survival Guide is packed with the advice to stay safe on your adventure.

Attractions To Skip In The UK
The One Place You May Want To Skip In The UK

It’s one of the world’s most famous sites and draws close to one million visitors every year. But here's why it might not be worth your time. 

Bad Hostel Habits
The One Way You’re Annoying People At Hostels

If you’re staying in a dorm room while you’re in the UK, here’s what not to do if you want to keep your fellow travellers on side.


Before Your Trip...

Got some Questions? 

If you have any other questions that haven't been answered on this page, visit our FAQs section for even more information. From riding scooters to questions on skiing, cruising, and travelling with kids, you'll find what you need here. 

stop sign
Know before you go

The one thing you should do before you get travel insurance is look at 1Cover Travel Alerts. Here you’ll find information on new and current travel events and what will be covered by your policy. 


One Last Thing: Emergency Contacts & How To Claim

We hope nothing goes wrong on your trip to the UK. But if it does, the resources in this section can help you.

New Zealand has an Embassy and several consulates throughout the UK. They provide a range of services to the general public, including consular, passport, visa and immigration, citizenship and cultural relations services.

Be informed. Be prepared. If you're across The New Zealand Government's SafeTravel website, you'll have all the latest information for your trip to the UK. SafeTravel is a trusted resource for New Zealander travellers and is updated regularly, so make sure you bookmark this handy resource.






If you need emergency assistance in the UK, please call our 24/7 emergency medical assistance line on (+) 64 9884 0229 or email [email protected]

For non-emergency assistance, you can message our Sydney-based support centre seven days a week.

If something happens to you and it's not an emergency, you can start the claims process whenever it's convenient to you. Visit our online claims platform, and if you have all the necessary documentation, your claim will be processed in 10 business days. 

Planning an Activity In the UK?

Museums In The UK
Step Back In Time

UK appeals to history buffs, but figuring out where to start can be overwhelming. To help you plan, check out this comprehensive list from the Historic UK office. 

Driving Holiday In UK
Self-Driving Tours

Explore Great Britain your way with a self drive tour from Adeo Travel. If you’re an independent traveller, this is the ultimate way to see the UK at a pace that suits you.

Football Tourism In UK
Fulfil Your Football Fantasies

Are you a football fanatic or a lover of all things sports? Tick these ultimate football experiences off your bucket list while you’re in Britain and you’ll be cheering for years to come.

Please note, 1Cover does not endorse or sponsor these activities. Activities are listed for informational purposes only.

Still Need Some Help? 

If you have any other questions or queries, please send us a message via our Contact Us page. 
If you are experiencing an emergency, please use the details on our Emergency Assistance page