Will I Be Covered If I Ride A Scooter, Moped Or Motorcycle While Overseas?

If you are driving a motorcycle greater than 50cc, you need to hold a current New Zealand motorcycle licence and to be riding legally in the country you are travelling in.

If you only hold a current New Zealand Drivers licence, we would offer cover for medical expenses related to mopeds and scooters with an engine size no greater than 50cc, and this coverage only takes effect if your New Zealand Driver’s licence is accepted in the country you are riding in.

To check if your licence is valid in the country you are travelling to we recommend that you check with the consulate of that country.

You also need to be aware that cover will not be provided to you if you are a passenger on a moped, scooter or motorcycle with the person in control not having a valid motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in.

It is compulsory to wear a helmet while riding a motorbike or scooter in many countries including Bali, Cambodia and Thailand. 1Cover advises you to wear a compliant motorbike helmet whenever you are a rider or passenger on a scooter or motorbike. 

Please note that whilst you are covered medically if you have an accident and are injured riding a two-wheeled vehicle, damage to scooters and motorbikes is not covered by your travel insurance. Insurance on the vehicle is generally included in your daily rental cost for the bike.


<< Back to FAQs Home


Need Further Assistance?

Message Us


All FAQ answers are based on the current effective Policy Wording. If your policy is older than the current Policy Wording, please contact us or refer to your particular policy.

Any information contained on this website is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider these having regard to the Policy Wording.